Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Leap of Faith

Some major life changes happening here folks. A change of career path from engineering to arts, from software enginnering to photography, from a professional to a student.

The idea to change has been in my head for about two years now, but the impetus wasn't. Its hard to pinpoint which particular reason stood out and made it necessary that I change. If I were to take a guess, it was not just one but a number of them, each adding a little more to the vessel until there was a spill over.




Come to think of it, there was never a eureka moment. I didn't wake up one day knowing what I wanted to be. Somewhere in a slow and painstaking process of elimination, making one mistake at a time and avoiding the pitfalls of societies expectations is where I managed to gain a better understanding of myself and figure out what I have a natural inclination for. Now, I am not going to stand on the top of the hill and claim that I found my one true thing and that my passion for it will make me insanely successful. Its just another career, that needs me to put the time and effort into, go through the grind and hopefully one day come out on top. One major difference from my previous job is that it is creative pursuit and the job market for most part is entrepreneurial. Its scary at time to think of it. For now all I can say is "All is well, all is well".

At 31 making a change like this is not common. I have received mixed reactions from people on this - many in encouragement, some in confusion, some scornful and a few in envy. No matter what the reactions are and who I received them from, the one thing I am really thankful for is the encouragement I have received from my family. Without whom this endevour of mine would have been very difficult if not impossible. I am eternally greatful for their support.

I jump off a well known landscape into an unknown, in hopes of making it through the fall. I have never been much of the religious kind, but if this is not a leap of faith then I don't know what is.

Now I know a few might be interested to know all about getting into the same field as I have, may not be about majoring in photography, but in generally in the arts and design arena. I'll be dedicating many of the future posts of the blog to all about the MFA program as a photography major (books, courses, proffs, work assignments, photos etc) and the Academy of Arts University. Hope you find it resourceful. Here is something to get started.

Academy of Art University | Experience


Academy of Art University | Campus and Facilities Tour

2 comments:

  1. Well said yaar.

    "When you have come to the edge of all light that you know and are about to drop off into the darkness of unknown...FAITH is knowing one of the two things will happen: There will be something solid to stand on or you will be taught to FLY"

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete